Monday, March 12, 2012

Monthly Reading Post

This month I being rather ambitious! I am trying to read four books (one left over from last month) all while  working part and being a mom and wife full time!
So the books I am reading this month are: Tempted by the Cast girls, Body Clutter by Marla Cilley and Leanne Ely, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller, and 48 Days to the Work you Love by Dan Miller.

Tempted is written by a mother and daughter team, which I think is pretty cool anyway, and it is the 6th in the House of Night series about vampires. The authors are P.C. and Kristin Cast. In the series, some people have a "vampire gene" and will inevitably become a vampire. The person is "marked" as a teenager and have a short amount of time from the time they are marked to get to the closest school of night where there are adult vampires to help them through the "change" from human to vampire. The heroine (Zoey) of the story has been blessed with great powers and has all kinds of crazy conflicts to overcome not to mention a good bit of teen drama. Zoey is also a bit boy crazy which often gets her into trouble. I like the authors' take on vampires and the fact that it's kind of a mesh of vampire and witch lore melded together. At any rate it is a fun read. In this book Zoey has some serious decisions to make and some really serious temptation to overcome, including the allure of a dark immortal. That fate of the world or at least her world and her friends lives may rest on her courage to resist temptation.

Body Clutter is written by Cilley and Ely who are maybe more commonly known as the FlyLady and the Dinner Diva or Dinner Saving Mom. I actually started this book at the end of the month last month but didn't finish it. I am almost finished with it now and I must say it had opened my eyes in many ways. It's not just about getting into a better lifestyle and making better decisions about what you are eating but it is also about understanding why you have made previous decision so that you can correct them going forward. Both authors emphasize using baby steps get to a healthier you. You didn't get to the weight you are over night or even within a day or week, and you can't make it disappear overnight or even within a week. It is about taking small steps and changing your relationship with food to a healthy relationship. This book has been very helpful and I have come to some new understanding about myself.

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller is the book of the month for the BOOKING IT CLUB organized by blogger of Life as a Mom. I am only about a quarter of the way through this one, but I am really liking it. I think this is a book that I am going to LOVE! It is about a guy who has wrote a memoir that a couple of movie producers think will make a good movie but they need to tweak it. At first the author is a feeling jilted because his life is too boring as it is, but then he realizes through the process of making the movie he can "edit" his life and make it a better story. Like I say I still pretty early in the book but it is bringing to light so many things that I either didn't realize or that I've taken for granted. I and excited about the rest of the book!

The last book I am reading is Dan Miller's 48 Days to the Work you Love. I literally just started this one today but I am looking forward to it and what things I might learn about working and myself. I am a big DR (Dave Ramsey) fan and he not only recommends this book but also wrote the forward!

Enjoy reading everyone!!

No comments: