Thursday, May 1, 2008

Breast Feeding Isn't Always Easy!

After reading all of the many benefits my beautiful little one would gain from being breast, not to mention there are many benefits for mom too, I made the decision to breast feed. I read books and talked with an La Leche consultant prior to giving birth, and felt like I couldn't be more prepared. Boy was I wrong! Though, the talks and the readings did help, however, experience always proves to be the best teacher. From the very beginning my little one and I were off to a bad start. She was getting enough to eat, but I was so sore and her latch on was not quite right. It probably was not until she was about two months old that we were both comfortable and happy. At times, it was so painful for her to nurse that I would just cry the whole time. However, we got through it and i believe that it was worth it. 

What I learned: 
1) Talk to someone, you're not the only one who has problems
2) Take advantage of the products made for you, there are plenty of products available for breast feeding mothers
3) Be patient and relax
4) Be determined
5) Unless you have a medical condition there is probably nothing wrong with your milk production, you can do this

Products that worked best for me:
1) Lansinoh cream (This was a life saver! Once I started using it after every feeding and pump I had no problems.)
2) Soothies (These are reusable gel pads that you can stick in the fridge and then place inside your bra. They provide a great deal of relief!)
3) Breast shields (These are plastic shields that allow air to get to you nipples but keeps your clothing from touching them. This helps when you are really sensitive.)
4) Warm compresses

A book that really helped is:
The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth through Weaning by Martha Sears

I hope this helps you. I am still a huge advocate for breast feeding and I think it's important for women to know that just because it doesn't automatically happen doesn't mean you should give up. I think it's important for women to know that other women probably went through the same problems. 

No comments: